UK Medicine Admissions Tests
UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)
The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) is part of the selection process of some UK medical and dental schools. It is an online test designed to test cognitive abilities, attitudes, critical thinking, and logical reasoning. There are four reasoning tests and a situational judgement test.
- Verbal reasoning: Assesses ability to think logically about written information and arrive at a reasoned conclusion: 21 minutes, with 11 passages to read and 44 questions.
- Quantitative reasoning: Assesses ability to solve numerical problems: 24 minutes, 9 tables, charts, graphs etc. as information and 36 questions.
- Abstract reasoning: Assesses ability to infer relationships from information by convergent and divergent thinking: 13 minutes and 55 questions.
- Decision analysis: Assesses ability to deal with various forms of information to infer relationships, make informed judgements, and decide on an appropriate response: 32 minutes, 1 scenario full of information and 28 questions (basic calculator provided)
- Situational judgement: Measures your responses in situations, and your grasp of medical ethics: 27 minutes and 67 questions on 20 scenarios.
The test is taken at your local test centre, with each subtest in a multiple choice format. Past papers are not available but there are specimen questions on the UKCAT website.
Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT)
The Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is an entry test for students who wish to apply to medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry and biomedical science courses in the UK. The test lasts for two hours and is divided into three sections:
- Aptitude and skills: Tests problem solving, understanding arguments, data analysis and inference skills.
- Scientific knowledge and applications: Tests the ability to apply scientific knowledge typically covered in school Science and Mathematics by the age of 16 (for example, GCSE in the UK and IGCSE internationally).
- Writing: The ability to select, develop and organise ideas, and to communicate them in writing, concisely and effectively.
The BMAT dates for 2018 are 1st September and 31st October.
Apply to study medicine in the UK
If you are interested in learning more about medical school admission tests, arrange your free consultation in Nicosia, Cyprus today. Our Medicine Service will help prepare you fully for being accepted at a UK medical school.